Application for Spoffin OFF 2013
Spoffin OFF is the showcase part of the Spoffin Festival in Amersfoort (The Netherlands), an annual street arts festival with more than 40 performing acts from all over Europe, with a special focus on innovations from the northern and eastern regions.
Spoffin Festival consists of three parts:
- Spoffin IN: innovative outdoor and site-specific performances of professional artists (on invitation only)
- Spoffin OFF: showcase of new work and up-coming professional artists (selected after application)
- Spoffin PRO: international meeting of promoters, festival programmers, agencies, journalists and other professionals in the field of arts in public space (on invitation only)
Both the Spoffin IN and OFF performances are programmed on squares, streets, parks and some specific sites in the mediaeval city centre of Amersfoort. The festival facilitates interaction and possibility for meetings amongst performers and professionals both informal and organized.
Spoffin OFF artists have been booked during or after the festival by numerous festivals throughout Europe. Click here for a list of all professionals who attend Spoffin PRO 2012 (PDF).
Application deadline and selection criteria
You can apply to participate in the Spoffin OFF program from February 1 until March 31, 2013. A committee consisting of three festival programmers under supervision of Mariska Verhulst will thoroughly study all the applications and make the selection. Final decisions will be made in May 2013 and are formalized in a contract.
Spoffin will do its outmost to organize an exceptionally good OFF program, as a consequence the quality level of the selection is high. Please note that only a limited number (15-20) of artists/groups can participate in the Spoffin OFF program, due to limitations in space, time, budget and production capacity. The first selection will be mainly based upon artistical criteria: originality, expressiveness, professionalism and whether the work interacts with public space and the audience. Furthermore we have a preference for productions that are plug-and-play (self-supporting), can easily travel and use little or no text. Practical criteria like group size and travel costs can further influence the final selection.
- Opendoors performance venue (meeting your technical needs)
- High profile publicity in print, online and elsewhere
- Quality meetings with theatre professionals (Spoffin PRO) and other artists.
- Good hotel accommodation
- Delicious meals
- Nice ambience
- Reasonable compensation for travel costs
- All the money raised ‘on the hat’ belongs to the artist!
You OFFer Spoffin:
- Your time and effort to showcase an exceptional good performance at Spoffin!
- Everything you need to perform (including all light and sound equipment, rigging, etc.), apart from the venue and the power